Subscribe in a reader

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Praying with my Children

As a parent of two young girls, I am trying to teach my children the importance of prayer. We traditionally pray before all our meals. We routinely pray each night before bedtime. We pray together with the sick when Lydia makes visits with me.

From time to time I reflect on how I might teach my daughters diverse ways in which we may pray to God. Since my three year absolutely loves Away in a Manger, we recently began praying the third verse with her. It not only is an excellent prayer for children, but also for adults. I have been praying it as well when I make petitions to God.

Be near me, Lord Jesus, I ask thee to stay
Close by me forever, and love me, I pray;
Bless all the dear children in thy tender care,
And fit us for heaven to live with thee there.

No comments: