Subscribe in a reader

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Obama's Speech

There is no doubt that if speeches alone decide who is elected President of the United States, Barack Obama would win easily over his competition. I have listened to many of his speeches and when he discusses his vision of unity in America, he truly inspires. Much of what I have heard that comes from Obama on unity is truly commendable.

His speech today was another example of the high quality in which he speaks to issues in America. But I confess that what truly puzzles me is this: In a speech that centers around his Christian faith, his Christian preacher, and how his Christian faith impacts his life and guides him philosophically, you might think the object and person of his faith might be mentioned. I have read through the speech and I cannot find even one mention of Jesus Christ.

I suppose that the mere mention of Jesus Christ must be too divisive for politics. Chalk this up as another unfortunate example of one who talks about their Christian faith without even mentioning the very center of that faith.

I could not help but think of Paul's words in 1 Corinthians 2.1-5:
And I, when I came to you, brothers, did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God with lofty speech or wisdom. For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. And I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling, and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.





No comments: